Thursday, March 3, 2011

Back in SC but !

We are back from our trip to CA and we had a wonderful visit with our family. However, I brought back something that I would have just as soon left there. A stomach bug. I have no energy but really wanted to post a little something on my blog today.

The FFFC challenge this month has to do with curves. I'm a curvy person, always have been so I was happy to see this challenge. Even though I was away from home and couldn't physically work on the piece I did design it while out there.

I've been doing a lot of computer manipulation in my work recently and decided that I wanted to design something for this challenge on the computer.


Several years ago I taught a class where I made a host block and then using a Drunkards Path template to cut out the pattern and then placed it on the design wall until I was happy with the design. This technique has hundreds of possibilities. The photo to the left shows one such design. I still have this in my UFO's because I like to keep some pieces ready to use for demos.

When I started working with manipulating photographs I discovered that abstract designs worked quite well with many of the techniques in PhotoShop 8.


I cropped the photograph until I was happy with the design. I then when into filters-distort-polar coordinates. It wasn't quite what I wanted so I went back into filers-distort-zigzag. The above design is what I came up with.

Now I have to print it on fabric and quilt it but I don't think that will take a lot of time. The design really tells me how it should be quilted. Don't think I will make the deadline of Sat. but I have a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment