Saturday, July 16, 2011

A lesson Learned

I spent two days this week at the AQS Quilt Show in Knoxville, TN. It was a good show but I noticed that many of the quilts were really wrinkled. This distracted so much from the beauty of the quilts.

I've sent many quilts to AQS shows over the years and know that they take good care of them. I have to assume that the wrinkling came from being packed incorrectly by the sender.

I looked on the Internet to see if there were instructions for folding a quilt for shipment. There were many. One was to fold on the bias, folding corners to the center and eventually ending with a rectangle. One of the quilts I saw there had very obviously used this method, you could see all the folds. This method may work in many cases and I'm not condemning it, but it did not work in this case.

The method that works for me is to roll tissue paper or bubble wrap and lay it in the fold of the quilt. I make as few folds as possible to get it in a reasonably sized box.

Rolling the quilt and mailing it in a tube or three sided box makes for a crease free quilt upon arrival.

If I'm lucky enough to have more quilts accepted in shows I will make sure that when my quilt arrives it will be wrinkle free.

No comments:

Post a Comment