Tuesday, November 17, 2009

My Exhibit at The Art's Company



"Nope, He's Not in There" and "Peacockiness"

One of my son's is an Entomologist at the San Diego Natural History Museum so any time I find an insect that interest me (which is often) I make up a design for a quilt.

This piece is titled "Blue Atlas". I used a photo of an Atlas Moth, the moth was actually collected by my other son, Lee. I was trying to follow the markings on the moth and decided I didn't like what was happening. I didn't like the fabric I had used for the body as well.

Soooo! I started over and used this beautiful blue hand-dyed fabric. I then decided that I would fussy cut pieces out of a printed fabric to make the markings.

I generally make my image and then decide on the background. It was a no-brainer, in my opinion, to use black. I also had some hand-dyed thread in the colors opposite of the color wheel to the blue. I decided to hand quilt the black background with big stitchs using moths motifs.

More on "Peacockiness" in a later post.!

No comments:

Post a Comment