Friday, June 5, 2009

The Everchanging River Exhibit

Opening night at The Arts Company in Seneca, SC show the owner Warren Carpenter talking to one of many visitors to the exhibit.

About a year and a half before the exhibit opened, in October of 2008 Warren asked me if I would curate an art quilt exhibit that would fill the room yet connect and undulate as it progressed. There was a window in one of the walls that he wanted to be considered part of the wall so there would be no interruption of the line. Considering the size of the four walls and the number of quilts it would take to fill them, I decided that I must work with groups that were already established. The Thread Heads of Seneca, SC. The Fringe Sisters of Columbia and Focus of The Upstate, of which I am a member, filled the bill. Bonnie Ouellette, Marge Edie and myself decided on a river as the continuing connection.

Fabric that resembled water was purchased and each member was given a fat quarter along with size limits, 18" wide and no longer than 14" to 23". They were also given the width of the river coming into their piece and the width of the river exiting there piece. They could place the river any where within the piece. There were no restrictions as to the content, it could be representational or abstract. I hope you will enjoy the show.

1 comment:

  1. I love the exhibit and hope to see it in person, hope it tours. Can we see a picture of the window it is all based on?

    ReplyDelete