Friday, January 20, 2012

Over-Thinking a Design


I've been working with this design for over a month and I finally came to the conclusion yesterday that I should leave well enough alone. I composed the photo in PSE by combining two photos. One was of the ruins at Sheldon Church in the low country of SC. The other photo is of a beautiful maple tree, without leaves, located at the public library in Seneca, SC.

I did a few other manipulations in PSE, mirror imaged the design and ended up with this piece. It is rather large about 56" x 36".

I was so excited by the secondary design I saw after the mirror imaging was done that I thought I needed to add more to the piece.

I worked for a couple weeks with the other images to the extent of actually printing them on fabric. I just couldn't wrap my head around what I was seeing. It just didn't do anything for me.

I took it to my Focus Art Group on Wed. and they had even other suggestions for me to try. I worked on those yesterday and finally decided that what I have is a series. I think this piece needs to stand on its own.


This is a close-up of the center area. When I was at the ruins of Sheldon Church I had the most wonderful feeling of what the place must have been during the days of plantations.

After the printing was completed on fabric and I saw the large piece I knew right away that I wanted a ghost to appear in the piece. For some reason I saw this ghost as a woman running.

After a lot of manipulating to a copyright free photo I found on the web I came up with the ghost in the above photo. I'm thinking she might be a little to ghostly. I might need to add a little more substance to her. I hope I'm not over-thinking this too.

More later.

1 comment:

  1. Great idea - maybe you could consider moving the woman a little to one side of the tree which is also dead centre, which I think made her a bit hard to see- I don't think she's too ghostly though. Perhaps you could add a dog or a small child running along beside her, that would make her even more intriguing

    ReplyDelete