Thursday, March 11, 2010

Anniversary Quilt


I thought that last nights post would be my last until I return from Campbell this weekend but this dreary day has prompted me to spend my time on the computer. Hope you enjoy this story.

I never know when I start a series of post whether to start at the beginning or the end. Today I chose the beginning.

In January 2009, I took a class from Mary Lou Weidman at J. C. Campbell Folk School. The class was how to build a story quilt, folk style. With our fifty year anniversary looming in 2010 I wanted to make a quilt representing those 50 years for our family.

Mary Lou's class could help me accomplish that. The following post will take you from the beginning to the near end of this project. Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of the quilt before I started adding images. Mary Lou, suggest that you make a canvas of your quilt. This means making a boarder and enclosing a blank center as your canvas.

Before I went to the class I had decided that I wanted to have photo of our family in the boarder blocks. Also since our house is a log house I wanted to use whacky log cabin blocks. I added a few of Mary Lou's blocks for interest.

The quilt is now at the quilter's, she just called and said it should be ready Sunday. That's good because our anniversary is next Sat. I have many hours of hand embellishment and the binding yet to come.

Our family and a few good friends are coming next weekend to help us celebrate. I will post the quilt when finished and tell you a little about the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment