Monday, May 30, 2011

The Fabrics of War

Last week my husband and I spent a wonderfully restful week with friends on Harbor Island, SC. One of our day trips was to the War Museum on Parris Island. I knew the guys would enjoy this trip but quite honestly I wasn't to excited about a war museum.


The trip turned into quite an education on the US and the many wars in which they have been involved. However, you put a fiber person in a museum and what do you expect they notice the most? Right on. The uniforms and fiber associated with that particular war.

You see from the photos that I've attached so far that each period is dated so you can get an idea of the fabrics used.

I don't know why the WW II era interest me so much. Some times I think it is the unimaginable things that happened during that time. I find it hard to accept. Just read (The Postmistress) a sad but well written book about that period in the US.

My Dad was drafted into the Marines during that time and was sent to Parris Island. He had been in a wreck a year or two earlier, that cut muscles in his arm, making it difficult to load a gun. After three months he was honorably discharged with a medical disability.

The flag was found in a Japanese camp. The stars had been removed and it is speculated they were used on their uniforms.


This was also found in a Japanese camp. I love the sentiment that goes with the idea.

If you are a woman reading my blog you might find it interesting that until the 1970's women were given a discharge if they became pregnant. After 1976, pregnant Marines were allowed to stay on active duty and in 1980 the first military uniforms for pregnant women were issued.

Nurses uniforms in the early years.

T-shirt worn by the press. How would you like to rely on a T-shirt to keep from being shot?
This is a bandage found in Iraq. I would hope that the Medic would have had enough training to know how to use these bandages without needing the pictures.


If you are ever in the area of Parris Island, SC I would say take the time and visit. I don't think you will regret the time spent there.

No comments:

Post a Comment