Thursday, February 3, 2011

Fast Friday Fabric Challenge #53

Field of Flowers

Trompe L'oeil

The art technique of trompe l'oeil involves creation of art that gives the visual illusion that an item is three dimensional. Its literal meaning is to 'deceive the eye'. A full history of this technique can be found on wikipedia.

This was the challenge for the FFFC this month. I've been way out of my comfort zone for the last two challenges, both abstract. I sure was happy to see something that was a little more up my alley.

I used a photograph my husband took in upstate NY of cone flowers. I often use photos for my inspiration. I chose a piece of commercial fabric printed with grass for the background. The cone flowers are made from hand dyed fabric.

To achieve the dept in the flower pedal I painted them with ink mixed with aloe jel. I have found that the jel makes the inks easier to control. The piece was finished with free motion quilting.

No comments:

Post a Comment