Tuesday, March 17, 2009

work resumes


For over a year I have been working on a piece that has a landscape and will have people in the forefront. For various reason this piece has been ignored. Today I started working on it again and I am excited about finally having the time to devote to his piece.

Two years ago my DH and I went to the Copper Canyon in Mexico. We were with an Elderhostel tour. This was a great tour and done exceptionally well. The weather was very cold and snowy. We were told this was very unusual. Several of the motels had no heat, normally it was not needed

one of the tours we were to go to a beautiful waterfall. Normally the bus would have driven us there, however, because of the snow the driver would not chance taking the bus up this road. The guide decided that it would be a beautiful hike. I had been sick and several of the group decided that they did not want to take the hike. We were able to stay on the porch of a crude lodge while the others hiked to the waterfall.

Everywhere we went on this trip, we were followed by women and children selling their handmade items. A young girl, we found out she was seventeen, sat on the steps and made baskets. Soon her seventeen month old child was brought to her to nurse. The love for this child was so apparent in this young womans face.

One of our guides struck up a conversation with her and asked if we could see her house. It was in the field beside the lodge. About five of us went into the house. The building was about 17' x 12', seventeen people lived in this house. The floor was dirt and stone, there was cracks in the wall where you could see light. The stove was an open barrel. I've never witnessed such poverty. When we came outside I asked if she minded if I took a photo of her and her daughter. She said no. This photo has haunted me ever since I took it and it will be part of my art work. I will have more to say on this as my work progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment