Thursday, March 5, 2009

Old Notions


Today, on the art quilter's digest, many people were talking about their old notions and how we hang on to these kind of things. My husband's first job was with Talon Zipper Company located in Meadville, PA. Both my husband and myself had spent our life, to that point, living in the South. Moving to the NORTH was quite a scarry thing for me. I think I had all the North being big industrial cities. This little southern gal had led a sheltered life.

Back to notions. When Talon Zipper started their company they were know as The Hookless Fastener Co. Talon made zippers for space suits as well as home sewers. Through the years Talon purchased a thread company and owned Universal button Company. I have many relics from this time period and I treasure them. At one point the company gave the wives of their executives silver thimbles made at Tiffany's of NY. Mine disappeared over the years but I do still have silver zipper-pull earrings, wooden spools of thread and lots of zippers.

Forgive the flash in the photo it's they only way I could get enough light to show the old advertisement.

No comments:

Post a Comment