Friday, September 20, 2013

Confetti Piece Finished



I finished my confetti piece this week and am really happy with the results. I wrote about this earlier asking for suggestions as to how I might attach the small pieces on fabric as opposed to batting.

The solution I came up with was to apply Misty Fuse to the front of the fabric and lay the pieces on top. I then covered with parchment paper to press. After this was completed I covered with tulle. I used different color tulle over some of the flower areas and a green tulle over the entire piece.

I felt the the green tulle helped push the flowers into the background and that was what I wanted.





I fussy cut the flower shapes and placed them over the quilted background. I then quilted the flowers.














I have been using Steam A Steam light for one of my classes.  I found out a while back that they had changed manufactures and were putting out a similar new improved SAS.  Not Good!

I decided that I was going to try the produce on the flowers in this piece before I purchased a lot of the product for my Fabricating Faces class. This photo shows the problem that I had with the product. The one on the left shows the paper coming off in spots leaving paper and taking the sticky off in other places.  The piece on the top right shows where some sticky was left and other spots where it was totally removed.  The one on the bottom right all the sticky came off. All the paper was very difficult to remove. Don't yet know what I will use for my class.  I need something that has a sticky backing after it is ironed onto the fabric. I'm going to have to do a bit of experimenting with this one.  To get the pieces that worked I just ironed Misty Fuse to the back and cut out. This is my preferred fusible but I haven't quite figured out how to make it work for my other class. Any suggestions?

I'm also looking for a name for this piece. I know there is a great one out there somewhere. Would love to have suggestions.

This post is linked to www.ninamariesayre.blogspot.com

13 comments:

  1. It turned out great! The first name that came to mind was "A walk in the park" but I know you can come up with something better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki. This has been a fun piece for me to make. I'm still working on the name.

      Delete
  2. I like this piece! Thanks for describing your process. I still have half a bolt of Wonder under, but I guess they changed their release paper. I hope you find a fusible that will work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sylvia. I am working on an alternative method to replace the SAS. I will let everyone know if it works.

      Delete
  3. You've come up with a very intriguing piece. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful results! I love the caterpillar and think that he should somehow be mentioned in the title, although I'm drawing a blank for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norma. I'm still drawing a blank on a name.

      Delete
  5. You did such a great job with the various shadings in the background. I, too, am drawing a blank for the title. Something about growing, perhaps, since the caterpillar is in the feeding stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Regina, I'm still struggling for a name.

      Delete
  6. Ellen Ann Eddy has a great fusible, check her blog.
    Maybe title : Tasteful

    ReplyDelete