Monday, October 3, 2011

A Happy Dance--Art Quilts XVI: Something to Say


I received an email today from Vision Gallery in Chandler AZ that "Connor" was juried into Art Quilts XVI. The show will hang from November 28, 2011 through January 28, 2012. This is the second year that I have been juried into this show but this year is just as exciting.

This quilt is personal for me since it is of my grandson, Connor. I've told the story behind this quilt before but if you will bear with me I will tell it again. Last year my husband and I celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary. We took our family to Costa Rica as a celebration.

One of the tours we took was of a pineapple plantation. The guide was very personable and made the information interesting to young and old alike. He stopped our trolly and taking his machete cut a pineapple out of the field. He proceeded to cut the pineapple up into small pieces to pass around for everyone to have a taste. Our grandson, Connor was at the back of the trolly and when the guide got to Connor all the pieces were gone.

Connor had a turned down smile when the guide got to him. He was presented with the core of the pineapple. The look on his face as he reveled in munching the core was caught by my son in this photograph.

As soon as I saw the photo I knew I had to see if I could capture his look in fabric. I think I did and I'm excited that it was juried into this show.

No comments:

Post a Comment