Monday, September 5, 2011

Fast Friday Fabric Challenge: Aug/Sept


Challenge #60: Mood/Atmosphere

The challenge for this months FFFC was to use color to create an atmosphere and mood. For a change from our normal fiber only, we could choose a different medium than fabric if that appealed to you. Paper art, photography, mixed media, painting, drawing or whatever else. The challenge was created by A. Carol Grant a long time member of FFFC.


"Sanctuary" 37" x 45"


This is what I've been working on all week. The project started out to be a study for a piece of which I wanted to make a large wall hanging. My original idea didn't pan out and this piece morphed from a 13" x 18" to 37" x 45".

I'm going to map out where I started and give a little info of how I arrived at the final design.

Heron

Ibis










I took these photographs at a Bird Rookery on Harbor Island, SC. I played with them in PSE and this is the blended photograph that I came up with.



I am really pleased with the outcome of the blending and enhancement of these two photos I made in PSE. I really had another idea for this piece and still may give it a try later but for now I'm happy using it in "Sanctuary".

I printed this photo on two 13" x 18" pieces of fabric. One was silk and the other cotton sateen. I printed them on my Epson Workforce 1100. They came out beautifully.



When I decided that I wasn't going to be able to accomplish my original idea I started playing a little. I printed out another piece on 13" x 18" organza and at some point during the printing process I think I hit the stop button. The printer spit out a partially printed piece. That turned out to be the single Ibis.









This gave me an idea so my next printed piece on organza was the original Ibis photo.


This is a long post so will finish at a later date. Hope you will be back.

1 comment: