Saturday, July 25, 2009

Quilting by the Lake

The process after fusing everything down is to zigzag around all the little pieces. I have finished with my little girl and started on the mother. I will then cut away the muslin and attach the two portraits to the landscape that I have prepared.

Two years ago my husband and I went on an Elderhostel trip to Copper Canyon, Mexico. The landscape that I am using is from a photograph taken at a waterfall. The group had to hike to the waterfall and several of us was not feeling well and stayed behind. As in a lot of the area's on our trip we were visited by women and children selling beautifully made baskets. A young, age 17, woman with her l7 month old daughter was selling her wares where we were waiting. I asked if I could take her photograph and she agreed. The results was mother & daughter. I was very moved by the look of love the mother showed for her daughter and hoped to capture it in my portrait. I decided that I wanted to place the two against the backdrop of the waterfall. The finished quilt will be posted when it is actually finished. Hope you enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Marilyn, your mother and child are beautiful. Such rich vibrant colors, so indicitive of their society.
    I will look forward to seeing it done.

    ReplyDelete