Saturday, January 18, 2014
I Almost Gave Myself a Heart Attack Today
You may remember the thread painting that I have been working on for the past year. It is a large piece of my grandson Connor when he was about three years old.
I finished the piece a while ago and found that there was a bulge in the watering can. It had to be fixed. Thanks to Carol Shinn's book Freestyle Machine Embroidery and her clear instructions I think I was pretty successful in fixing the problem.
I forgot to take a before photo but this is a photo after I cut the fabric. Carol suggest that you cut in an irrigular line. You then overlap the two and cut away the overlaping material.
Before you butt the two pieces together you paint the white edges of the fabrics. This makes it easier to blend. I used inks that I diluted in Aloe Jell.
Here I butted the two pieces together. On the back I applied a piece of fabric with Misty Fuse.
I then thread painted over the area using several different colors of thread. Unless you are up close in a well light area you can not see where the repair took place.
This is the finished piece. It will be added to a background that is ready to quilt. This has been a real experiment for me and it's not over yet. I'm not sure how I will attach this to the background. Part of the left side of Connor's body will extend outside of the background. Lots yet to do but I'm quite happy so far.
We have been away a lot lately and my time in the studio has been very limited. I hope to have a really productive week this coming week. More later.
This is linked to www.ninamariesayre.blogspot.com