Friday, January 3, 2014
Holidays are over, It's back to work
The week before we left to visit our family for Christmas I had and unexpected open day. I had done some prep for my SAQA Trunk Show 7" X 10" piece so it was ready for me to thread paint.
Hungry Bee is printed on silk fabric and heavily thread painted. The bee was thread painted on dissoluble Solvy and then added to the Mexican Sunflower. It went off in the main today so I can strike off one more thing.
The name comes to this piece because it was sunset when I was taking the photo I used as inspiration. The light was just right making the colors brilliant.
Now for the bad. My machine went bonkers the day after I finished this piece. It was sewing so beautifully, one of my better experiences in free motion quilting.
I cleaned the machine, changed the needle threaded the machine with a different thread and started on a new project. Clunk, Clunk, Knot, Thread Throw-up, well you get the idea. I worked for hours doing everything I could think to remedy the problem. Finally I gave up and turned the machine off.
I sent a plea out to the SAQA Yahoo Group asking for help. I got lots of great ideas to try although I had already tried many of them. This group is so sharing with their knowledge and time. I really thank them for responding. Anyway, this morning I decided to change the type and brand of thread that I was using yesterday. I had changed the thread and bobbin several times yesterday but not the type and brand. For some reason this seemed to do the trick. I'm still getting a little clunk now and then and the thread breaks but nothing like yesterday. I believe I am going to take it in to the shop to see if there is a little piece of thread stuck somewhere, or perhaps a burr on the plate. At least I can sew. I've decided that I will hold off on working on my hydrangea until I know the problem is solved.
This post is linked to www.ninamariesayre.blogspot.com