Friday, July 12, 2013

Some Time You Can't See the Forest for the Trees



Pink Perfection 
38" X 23"

 We've all heard the expression, you can't see the forest for the trees, that phrase rang true to me last night.  I was sewing the facing on Pink Perfections and had it laying in my great room.

We had friends over for dinner and my friend, Ann picked it up to take a look.  She asked me what the flower was. Ann is a master gardener and a fiber artist and I respect her opinion.  If she didn't know what this flower was how would someone else know?
  I don't strive for photo realism in my work but most of my work is categorized as realism.  Ann's question made me take another look at my piece this morning.

I realized that I had not put in the anther and filament.  In other words, the center stems with the little tip that carries the pollen.

Sometime I get so close to my work that I don't really see it.  That's when we have to step back and take another look.  We may actually see the trees or the anther and filament are actually missing.

So, thank you Ann.  I hope this has taught me a lesson to open my eyes and really see what I'm looking at.  When you are a realist that's pretty important.

This post is linked to www.ninamariesayre.blogspot.com

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Marilyn. Beautiful piece and the colors are so pleasing. I like your use of beads--just the right touch.
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nadia, I'm beginning to use beads more often and enjoying the process.

      Delete
  2. ohhh this came pretty - and I totally understand what you mean about looking at your subject. Its a lesson that my lilies series has taught me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Nina Marie, have fun at the show.

    ReplyDelete