Thursday, March 22, 2012

Fiber Related Items in the Lightner Museum, St. Augustine, FL


Everything old is new again.

Today I spent the morning in the Lightner Museum in St. Augustine, FL. The building alone was worth the trip but the collections within were unreal. This museum started as the El Alczar Hotel built by Henry Flagler.

Mr. Flagler purchased other peoples collections to fill this museum. The collections are very eclectic but I am going to show fiber related collections today.

The exhibit on quilting.
I wonder if "sculptured pile" is not the same thing as felting?



I was intrigued with the button collection.

Isn't it wonderful how people have been able to make art out of utilitarian objects?

I love the silver button teapot.

And then there were cards of buttons some were made of bone.............

and black glass................

and inlay with silver, pearls, etc.

Crochet buttons..............

And a lady made of buttons.

I have much more but out of time. We are traveling again so it may be a couple of days before I get back with more of the Lightner Museum and St. Augustine.

No comments:

Post a Comment