Friday, May 10, 2013

Sun, Fun and Dyeing

We have been planning a day of dyeing fabric for a month.  We have been having rain everyday for about a month.  However, yesterday we were blessed with a warm, sunny day, at least until we finished with the session.  About 3:30 the bottom fell out, again, and we had our daily rain.  Shouldn't complain too much, I'm sure we will be wishing for rain later this Summer.

The dyeing session was held at the picnic shelter at Keowee Key, on beautiful Lake Keowee.  Couldn't have been lovelier. 
Bonnie Ouellette, offers this class just about every year.  It's a win, win for the members who don't do a lot of dyeing.  Bonnie, makes up the dyes and furnishes all the supplies, except fabric, and we go and have a fun day dyeing fabric.










Bonnie's not terribly fond of having her photo made so I try to respect her wishes.  I'm showing her back here.  She has the table all set up with bottles of dye that are labeled and ready to use.

She also makes a huge bucket of soda ash water for soaking.









We also dyed some silk scarves by soaking in vinegar  adding the dye and microwaving.  I had time to rinse out the scarves but the cotton fabric needs to set over night.










A few of the scarves.













One of my favorites.

















My apologies to the creator of this beautiful piece of fabric, I don't remember her name.

Most of what I created was gradations in color, as that is what I use the most.  They should be ready tomorrow.  Will post those later.  A great day with like minded friends.

This post is linked to www.ninamariesayre.blogspot.com

8 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a fabulous day! I love the results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather, it was fun. Washed the fabric out today and am adding a photo to the blog.

      Delete
  2. I love the patterns (from resists?) on the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regina, I would love to say yes that I created the designs but....they come in the blanks I ordered.

      Delete
  3. Dye parties are fun! Looks like a lovely place to hold the event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sylvia, they are fun and it was a lovely place.

      Delete
  4. color me jealous!! Usually we can't get enough good weather to dye till June - these are lovely!

    ReplyDelete