Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Quilt National Entry Part Two


This is a continuation of my discussion on the making of Doors to the Past.   When I first printed the image I had thoughts of adding something around or to the side of the image.  However, the more I looked at the printed piece the more I wanted to keep it within  the confines that existed.
Having made that decision I had to decide where I was going to take the piece.  The shadows intrigued me.  I was puzzled as to why my shadow disappeared and wanted to explore that further.  At first I isolated my shadow, I guess I was determined to be in the piece, but I was much happier with the image of my husband.  I also really liked the aura that appeared around the archway. 
After I isolated the shadow image of my husband I placed it in various positions within the larger image.  A few of the images I tried.



This is the final image I decided on, I can't really say why except that it pleased me.  While working on the piece I spent time wondering how many people had passed through these doors.  Perhaps the eerie feeling that I experienced when my image appeared as a white spot at the top of the arches inspired the rest of the design.   I really enjoy going back over a piece like this an exploreing the whys and hows of the creation.  I hope you enjoyed it as well.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a fabulous piece and I loved seeing how it developed. QN's loss, but I'm sure it will be snapped up by other big shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norma. I really enjoyed making the piece.

      Delete