Saturday, December 18, 2010

Working on Christmas



I decided that I am going to wait until after the Holidays to finish posting on our trip to Paducah to see the Everchanging River Exhibit at NQM.

We are spending the holidays with our family and I have been busy today baking. I made a buttermilk pound cake a family favorite, cranberry-orange bread, lemon poppy seed bread, and pumpkin chocolate chip bread. Then after dinner I made a batch of Chex Mix.

One of our daughters is doing the Christmas cookie thing and our son will most likely bake something. We will not be without sweet things to eat.

I hope to get the dolls, I am making as gifts, finished in time to post them before I have to wrap them.

I made the large Santa, in the photograph, when we lived in Tuscaloosa, Ala. Several friends and I got together and worked up a pattern for clothing. Each of us made a different themed Santa. One of my friends made a garden themed Santa and ended up selling it for quite a tidy sum.

Mine, as most projects I do in my life, had to have a quilt on it somewhere. This was an old cutter quilt that someone had donate to our guild. It was offered up for auction and though I bid on it someone else won the bid.

I had written an article about a quilt, the woman who won the bid had made in memory of her niece who had died in a car accident. Her niece had been a frequent baby sitter for the lead singer of the country music group "Alabama". Randy Owens wrote a song about her being an angel and Judy used angels as the theme for her quilt. She then presented it to the Owens' family.

The article and a photo of the quilt was published in a magazine called "Quilting or Quilter's Gallery". Don't know if it is still published or not, I haven't seen it in a while. After the article came out Judy brought the cutter quilt into the meeting one month and gave it to me. She remembered that I had bid against her and wanted me to have the quilt.

I had no idea I would be writing about that tonight but remembering is what happens when I get my Christmas things out.

I do hope to get a post in before everyone gets together but just in case I miss you next time. Happy Holidays

No comments:

Post a Comment