Friday, February 20, 2009

Visions Exhibit


Unfortunately this photo of the entrance to Oceanside Museum of Art is all I can show you of my visit to the Visions Quilt Exhibition today. However, if you are in the area it is well worth a visit.

A few personal observations, most of the quilts are abstract with a few realistic ones included. Interesting to me, since I have this thing about feeling that todays quilts are quilted to death, many of these pieces had minimal surface quilting. The quilts that did have a lot of surface quilting needed the quilting. I found it refreshing that the artist did what they felt should be done to enhance the quilt and not impress a judge. All of the art work was outstanding but a few that really caught my eye was Contemplation by Rita Stiffenson from Urbana, Ohio was a masterpiece of construction. I'm not sure of the name of the quilt but it was made by Kent Williams from Madison, WI. and was described as an Ogee design. Moon and Mars by Charlotte Ziebarth, I just love her work. Bonne Nuit, by Wendeanne Stitt was fun and compelling. Transcendent, by Robert S. Leathers was heart tugging in it's story of his home, that took seven years to build, being destroyed in four hours during the San Diego Firestorm of 2207.
Go out of your way to see this show!

No comments:

Post a Comment