Moat of my week has been spent manipulating photos and printing the fabric for my upcoming "Fabricating Faces with Thread " class at the NCQS. I enjoy this process but not quite as much as I do creating my own work. Soooo, toward the end of this week I decided that I needed to play just a little.
I've been trying to get the time to create my SAQA donation 12 X12 piece. I already had the background made so worked on thread painting a luna moth to add.
I printed the moth on organza and backed with Misty Fuse, then I triple layered Solvy under that and put it in a hoop. I don't normally use a hoop, but I wanted the thread painted moth to be a thin. The background is all silk and very light so the moth needed to be light as well.
This was my first arrangement using dark limbs entering the piece from the left. I had a meeting of my HiFiber Art Group yesterday and tool this piece to ask for suggestions on improvement. Laurie felt that her eye was pulled first, to the dark limbs and wanted to linger there. Since the Luna Moth was suppose to be the focus, I decided to tray two things, a lighter fabric for the limb and a lower entry of the limb into the image. I believe it works better.
Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
Friday, May 2, 2014
Before I go into my thoughts on working on this piece, I'm in a bind on what to name it. One of the things that attracted me to this gentleman, enough to ask his permission to take his photo, was his smile and the twinkle in his eyes.
That lead me to think of titles like, Sparkling, Twinkle, etc. I'm at a standstill, anyone have a good suggestion?
Sometimes, make that often, when I am working on a piece it takes me a while to get it finished. That doesn't mean I'm physically working on that piece the whole time. I often will put a piece on my design wall that I am having trouble with. That keeps it in view, which keeps it fresh in my mind. I can then mull it over until I'm ready tackle the problem.
This doesn't happen with every piece I work but generally it does with more detailed work. I began working on this gentleman months ago and finally decided last week that I WAS GOING TO FINISH HIM this week. So here he is.
I usually begin a portrait with the eyes and then work out from there. In the piece I discarded, the color of thread wasn't the only problem I encountered. I was very unhappy with the eyes.
( Bad photo lighting shows his skin darker here.)
My second start worked for me, and as I began to work on the piece I could see where changes, or details, needed to be added
I wait until I have the piece all but finished to go back and create the details.
I forgot to mention that I quilted the background before I added the head. I then finished his hair.
Notice his eyes, nose, teeth, mouth and beard here.
After carefully studying his eyes, nose, mouth and teeth, I added details that made those features look more like him.
One of the things that I feel is really important when you are working on a portrait is the high-lights and, of course, shadows that show on the face. This really shows off the nostrils, creases, and curves of the body. Last but far from least is the catch light in the eyes.
Without that the person, animal or insect will show no life.
I will be teaching Fabricating Faces with Thread at the NCQS in Wilmington, NC the weekend of May 29-June 1.
This post is linked to www.ninamariesayre.blogspot.com