Friday, September 5, 2014

Purple Haze for SAQA SC/GA Trunk Show

I am a member of SAQA and until the past few years I never had contact with our local reps. Once Paula Brown became the SC rep and her partner from GA took over, things began to change in our district. They have organized exhibits, challenges, keep us posted with a newsletter. They have setup a Face Book page so that we can keep in touch and share photos and news within our group.

One day I received a little package in the mail. It was a lovely piece of hand dyed fabric. Paula, Victoria Rondeau and Meg Filiatrault had gotten together and hand dyed fabric to send to all the SC/GA SAQA. They asked us to create a 12x12 for our regional trunk show. The only stipulation was that the hand dyed fabric be recognizable. We were give plenty of time to complete the project and yet many of us didn't get it done by that date. Fortunately they extended the date until sometime in Oct.




I decided that I would use the hand dyed fabric as my background, and chose fabrics that would be compatible. I am fairly well know for my flowers, so I chose to create this beautiful daisy like flower.



After placing It on the hand dyed fabric, I chose a deep blue center for the flower. Machine quilted the petals and background.




I decided that I wanted to fill the center with French Knots. I had some beautiful variegated hand dyed pearl cotton, and some bright gold. This thread is quite thick needing a large eyed needle. I had a very hard time getting the needle through all the layers. Three evenings of watching TV and two sore hands later, I had a finished product.

I happy with it, but the biggest point of this post is to thank our SAQA reps for caring enough to be doing such a great job.

This post is linked towww.ninamariesayre.blogspot.com

Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

  1. The purple was a wonderful choice, Marilyn. I love the use of the french knots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy, thr French Knots really do make the piece.

      Delete
  2. This is a beaitiful piece...I'm sure the French knots were difficult to do but they really add a lot!

    ReplyDelete