Tuesday, September 8, 2009

sun dying

"High Fiber" an art quilt group I belong to choose sun dying as the project for this month. I've sun dyed before so knew a little about what I was going to do. I took a piece of PFD fabric sprayed it with water and applied my paints. I laid out an Angle Hair Fern, this is a very delicate fine fern. I also added a a couple of large leafs from a coleus plant.

I decided to try something a little different and mixed up some paints hoping to get a color close to sepia. I laid a cut-out of a shadow from a photograph I took last February and a piece of organza that I had printed from the same photograph. I was delighted with the results. I predict that you will get tired of this image before I do.

The lighter image on this fabric was accomplished by laying a cut-out of paper on wet painted fabric. The darker image is printed organza.

No comments:

Post a Comment